The RPG rules on Dark sun.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jenova
Menace from the Sky
Menace from the Sky

Mood : Wargahrgbl!

PostSubject: The RPG rules on Dark sun.   Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:00 pm

So, Here are the overall rules concerning RPG on this forum.
This might differ, depending on the GM and will be noted in the corresponding threads.

1. The GM is ALWAYS right.
2. Every GM can create his own houserules for his thread.
3. Gamemechanics from the systems used and how they are used is the decision of the GM.
4. Posting activity should be within the set reach of each thread/GM.
5. You can´t post for some time? Please notify your GM.
6. more possybly to come...

To convey what you/your char is doing ingame. Here are a few rules at how things work.

#I pick up the sword. / #[Character name] hits on the barmaid.

Everything your char does begins with a rhomb.

[English / with authority in the voice] "Surrender, Fiend!"

Everything said needs to be in quotation marks,
if that is missing, the GM decides whether something has been said or not.
Please note the language you speak in that moment in Brackets,
optionally you can describe in what way you say something for more RPG emersion.

(ROFLLOLWTFBBQ ^^ What´s going on here?)

Outplay talk HAS to be in clamps, please remember that. ^^

@Playername / charname

If you talk to someone directly, just use a @ + the name.
This will always be used by the GMs to not have to reply to every player through seperate posts.

Lets look at some examples:

DSA:

Player A:
-----------------------------------------
(OMG, lets hope we survive this fight, roll good everyone!)

@My Comrades
[Garethi / motivational]: "Onwards Friends, the beast is already wonky, for Rondra!"
#Alrik throws himself against the Ogre with all his power and tries to hit it with his mighty axe.
(Self imposed +3 on my to hit, for more damage.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

GM´s post:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
@Player A

(at least you rolled some nice numbers, I think you guy might even survive this one.... *slasher smile*)

#With a mighty blow you hack into the left side of the Ogre, who lets out an inhuman cry.
He tries to back up from you while dark red blood flows from a deep wound in his upper body.
The ogre counterattacks but fails to hit you by half a meter.
[Ogreish / propably angry]: "AHHRGLACHGRABGRAB!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Something like this. ^^

Maybe more examples later.

Back to top Go down
Jenova
Menace from the Sky
Menace from the Sky

Mood : Wargahrgbl!

PostSubject: Re: The RPG rules on Dark sun.   Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:54 am

In this post I want to talk about how every GM has different ways of doing their thing.

Aska and myself for instance are less likely to kill of characters for arbitrary reasons. A lot of effort has been put into creating a chracter, at least most of the time.
Thus killing said character for no reason is stupid in my eyes and does not give way to fun for the player.
(Maybe fun for a sociopathic gm, the kind of which I hope none of you has to ever endure...)

Of course if you as the player do the most stupid things, like wipping out your characters dick in front of the empress. (whatever empire it may be...)
That´s highly likely to get you thrown into a dungeon and executed for indecency and insulting the ruler.

Should it happen, that you want to do something, that your character is actually incapable of.
For example, jumping a 15 meter gorge and you not being supernatural, we will tell you as the player that your char is incapable of doing so,
if you still decide that your char can´t understand that she/he won´t make it, you can of course still try.

One example of how that could go...
Player:
"I am going to run, jump of the Skyscraper, into the moving helicopter, make a tumble to face the person manning the heli minigun and fire two rounds at them,
jump out the other side of the helicopter and land on the skyscraper on the other side."

GM:
"Do you have all the skills and levels in those skills that your char can actually do those things?"

Player:
"No, but look here, on my character sheet, there is a flaw, called overconfident."  smug

GM:
"Sigh, roll for int, also called common sense."   ughh

//--------------------------------------------------------

Often, when characters have reached certain skill levels, minor checks on those skills might be omitted by the GM, for a more fast paced game.
(or because of lazyness on our part...   )
If your character is a wilderness expert, you don´t need to make a roll to create a fireplace that is save in a standard place.
The thief that has opened a thousand simple locks will not even be fazed to open one such thing under pressure, meaning no skill check required either.

On the other hand, even if a skill is high, sometimes it is something, that can fail everytime. (like magic scrying, alchemy, MAGIC and the likes.)

Something along those lines also goes for the descriptions you give of your actions.
If you make it detailed and flashy, think comic book/action movie/anime,
it also might be that skill rolls will be omited for Rule of cool.

If what you want to do is undoable, even with willing suspension of disbelieve, it´ll either be "reduced" in ridiculessness,
we´ll make you fail in hilarious and mostly non lethal ways, or we just tell you in the next GM post that you should redo your post,
for what you wanted to do simply doesn´t work with physics. SCIENCE!

Back to top Go down

The RPG rules on Dark sun.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1